Theory of Writing

Mohammad Jobair 

Theory of Writing 

I have never really been good at writing. Infact, any type of communication is difficult for me. I mix up my ideas, bring up topics at odd moments and things of that nature. But I always respected writing, and the power it possessed. Maybe I’m not creative enough to write, or maybe I’m too creative for my own good. It doesn’t matter if I can’t get words on paper. My theory of writing is that it is a super powerful tool. 

When I talk about writing used as a “tool”, I guess you can imagine it both as utility and a weapon. Writing is so powerful in fact, that once the writing press was creating, things were DRASTICALLY changed in the world. Education and literacy significantly went up, ideas spread, the creativity of people finally had a place to be seen by others. This significant turn of events paved the way for human ingenuity and creativity. They created solutions to problems that people didn’t even think were a problem, created the internet. Chemistry, all these accomplishments can come from writing. The transference of ideas made it possible for people to collectively think upon something and revise it.  

But some people such as myself are not gifted with the ability to properly write. I prefer something more straightforward, it’s probably the reason why I like chemistry or math better. But it’s always something I can improve upon. The importance of writing only increases in value with the passing of time. Throughout my writing experience, I’ve faced many plateaus and had to work harder than everyone else to get to another level. Maybe because I didn’t know much English starting out, but now that I am more versed in the language, it is a bit easier. I wrote about what happened immediately around me, because I didn’t have the creativity to think beyond myself. Even now I struggle doing so. But it does not change me trying to improve or its significance. 

I remember in 8th grade, I had an English teacher that heavily stressed the importance of writing. He said, the simple act of writing and letter to someone (not e-mail) with greatly increase the likelihood of them taking you more seriously and responding to you. His story was that when he was a child, he tasted some really bad nerds candy, so he proceeded to send them a written letter about what had happened, they then proceeded to send an entire box of the candy back as an apology. This shows just how effective writing can be. 

Audience is another thing to keep in mind while writing. You wouldn’t give a teenager a research essay and expect them to give it any thought. Writing style, word choice, and other things change when the audience changes, it’s something very useful to learn to properly get the attention you want your piece to get for your targeted audience. 

So writing is important, and not everyone is good at it, but everyone should strive to be better, because it could help you to land a job, smooth talk, or even get free candy at times. Writing is very important.